Pick Up Sticks
What you'll need: A mat
Targets: Abs, butt, hips, and quads
- Stand with feet hip-width apart, arms by sides.
- Lunge forward with right leg, bending right knee 90 degrees, left leg extended behind you, and reach right hand to ground beside right foot.
- Return to start, switch sides and repeat. MAKE IT HARDER: Jump up between lunges and switch legs in midair to alternate sides or take shorter steps and lunge faster.
- Do 10 reps per leg.
Trainer's tip: To help support your lower back, keep your core engaged as you reach toward the mat.
Targets: Butt, inner and outer thighs
- Stand with feet wider than shoulder-width apart, arms by sides.
- Shift weight onto right leg, bending right knee 90 degrees to lower into a deep lunge, left leg straight, driving bent right elbow back and bent left elbow forward.
Targets: Butt and outer thighs
- Stand with feet hip-width apart, elbows bent so that hands are in front of chest, palms pressed together, as in prayer pose.
- Keeping shoulders squared, lunge diagonally forward with right leg, crossing it to the outside of left leg, bending both knees 90 degrees.
Tuck and Extend
Targets: Abs, lower back, butt, and hamstrings
- Stand with feet hip-width apart, elbows bent by sides, hands in front of chest, palms facing each other.
- Bring bent left knee up to hip height, foot flexed, and bend forward at waist to get into tuck position.
Tadpole to Frog
Targets: Shoulders, triceps, abs, butt, quads, and calves
- Start on mat in full push-up position, balancing on hands and toes, arms extended, body forming a straight line from head to heels.
- Keeping arms tucked close by sides, bend elbows directly behind you to lower chest toward mat.
Thread the Needle
Targets: Shoulders, abs, obliques, lower back, and butt
- Start on mat in full push-up position, balancing on hands and toes, arms extended, body forming a line from head to heels.
- Lift right hand off mat and reach arm under torso as far to left as possible, turning head to look at fingertips.
Rock the Boat
- Sit on mat with knees bent, feet flat, and arms by sides. Lean torso back 45 degrees, raising arms overhead and lifting feet off mat to extend legs together at a 45-degree angle (this is the boat pose).
Cross the River
Targets: Abs, obliques, butt, and hips
- Stand to right of mat (lengthwise) with feet hip-width apart, elbows bent by sides, hands in front of chest.
- Leap over mat to left side, pumping arms (right elbow forward, left elbow back) and landing on left leg, knee slightly bent, with bent right leg crossing slightly to the left behind you (in a speed skater's pose).
You are here
Total Body Recharge: 8 Energy-Boosting, Muscle-Toning Moves
This is a zero-equipment, no sneakers required, all energy-boosting cardio workout that tones from head to toe. "You'll target your major muscle groups from every plane of motion while scorching away calories," says Maryanne Blake, group exercise instructor at the Sports Club/LA in Boston, who designed the gym's ingenious new yoga-meets-sculpting-meets-cardio Zenergy class and shared her best body blasters exclusively with FITNESS. Complete these signature supermoves twice a week to tighten your bod and revive your brain.