3 Moves to a Buffer Bottom
Target Your Backside
A sculpted backside not only looks good in jeans but it can power you through every workout, explains Nikki Kimbrough, a trainer at Bally Total Fitness in New York City. Work up to three sets of each move.Beginner: Single-Leg Pelvic Thrust
- Lie on the floor with knees bent 90 degrees, feet on floor. Place arms at sides, palms down.
- Extend left leg 3 inches off floor with foot flexed. Engage your glutes and lift hips toward the ceiling, keeping your upper back on the floor.
- Hold for 2 counts, then lower hips. Complete 8 times; switch legs and repeat.
- Stand with feet shoulder-width apart, toes pointed out. Bend knees 90 degrees into a squat, elbows bent at your sides.
- Keeping weight balanced over your heels, step forward 3 inches with right foot, then follow with your left.
- Staying in the same position, step backward with your right foot, followed by the left foot. Repeat 8 to 10 times total.
- Stand with feet hip-width apart. Place your right foot forward and bend knees 90 degrees into a lunge.
- Bend elbows, bringing your right hand back and your left hand forward into runner's arms.
- Jump up to quickly switch legs and arms. Land softly and continue alternating legs and arms for 10 reps.
Originally published in Fitness magazine, March 2006.
What do you think of this story? Leave a Comment.
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say "Yes" to Fitness® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE – 2 full years (20 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Fitness Band and Total Body Express Band Workout ABSOLUTELY FREE! (U.S. orders only)