What you'll need: a pair of 3- to 5-pound dumbbells, a yoga mat
- Place dumbbells at top of mat, then get into full push-up position with arms shoulder-width apart and hands directly under shoulders; step feet out slightly wider than shoulder-width.
- Keeping hips level, lift right hand and pick up one dumbbell; drive right elbow backward at shoulder level, keeping arm close to side and palm facing down.
- Extend right arm forward.
- Return right elbow to bent position and repeat.
- Do 10 reps, switch sides and repeat. Do 2 sets.
- Stand with feet hip-width apart, holding a dumbbell in each hand, arms slightly out to sides in an upside-down V.
- Slowly raise extended arms overhead, drawing five tiny circles with each weight on the way up until arms form a V.
- Slowly lower arms to sides, reversing direction of circles, to complete 1 rep.
- Do 2 sets of 10 reps.
Targets shoulders and biceps
- Stand with feet hip-width apart, holding a dumbbell in each hand, with arms by sides and palms facing forward.
- Bend elbows near rib cage to bring dumbbells next to shoulders while keeping palms facing forward.
- Punch left arm out to left side, palm facing forward, and then quickly bring dumbbell back to shoulder. Repeat with right arm to right side, then lower arms to start.
- Do 2 sets of 20 reps, alternating sides. MAKE IT HARDER: On final rep, do 20 fast-paced punches with left arm, then repeat with right arm.
Oblique-Twist Triceps Push-Up
- Lie on mat on your right side, hug rib cage with right arm, and place left hand on floor in front of right shoulder. Bend right leg behind you and lift left leg a few inches to hip level, toes pointed.
- Press through left palm to lift torso off floor until left arm is nearly fully extended. Simultaneously raise left leg as high as you can.
- Lower to start.
- Do 20 reps, switch sides and repeat. Do 2 sets.
Originally published in FITNESS magazine, April 2012.