Targets: Abs and butt
- Sit on ball with knees bent 90 degrees, holding a dumbbell in each hand.
- Walk feet forward until upper back and head rest on ball. Lift hips, forming a straight line.
- Extend arms toward ceiling, then bend elbows to lower dumbbells behind you. Straighten arms.
- Do 15 reps; roll back up.
Targets: Shoulders, upper back, and biceps
- Stand with feet hip-width apart, holding two dumbbells in right hand.
- Step back with right leg, bending knees slightly, and hinge forward from hips. Place left hand on left thigh.
- Extend right arm below shoulder. Bend elbow to bring weights to ribs; extend.
- Do 12 rows. Switch sides; repeat.
On the Fly
Targets: Shoulders, abs, and butt
- Holding a dumbbell in each hand, stand on right leg, left leg lifted a few inches behind you.
- With back flat and weights below shoulders, lean forward from hips.
- Lift arms directly out to sides as you raise left leg and lean forward until body is almost parallel to floor.
- Return to start. Do 12 reps; switch legs and repeat.
Squat with Twist
Targets: Shoulders, upper back, butt, and legs
- Holding a dumbbell in each hand, stand with feet shoulder-width apart.
- Squat and bring weights together in front of chest, elbows out to sides.
Targets: Upper back and biceps
- Stand with feet hip-width apart, knees slightly bent, holding a dumbbell in each hand, arms in front of thighs, palms forward.
- Lift arms straight up to chest level in front of you. Without moving elbows, curl right hand to right shoulder; extend.
- Repeat with left arm. Do 20 curls, alternating sides.
Originally published in FITNESS magazine, April 2009.