Chair and Dumbbell Workout: Beginner
Chair Bridge (pressing motion)
Target: Glutes and hamstrings (hip and thigh areas)
- Lie flat on your back.
- Place the backs of your feet and ankles on a chair or bench, with your knees bent.
- Rest your arms at your sides.
- Lift your hips and pelvic area up and toward your face while driving the backs of your feet into the chair or bench. Your rear end will come up off the floor.
- Raise the hips and pelvic area as high as you can, but do not exceed the range of motion shown.
- Lower toward the starting position, stopping just before your rear end hits the floor, and continue the exercise for the recommended number of repetitions.
Target: spinal erectors, low back, and glutes
- Lie facedown on a mat with your arms fully extended overhead and your legs straight.
- For optimal spinal alignment, keep your face toward the mat. (If this arm position feels uncomfortable in your neck and shoulder, you can place your arms at your sides.)
- Lift your arms, your chest, and your legs off of the mat, as through you are flying.
- Hold this position for 10-15 seconds.
- Note that you are holding this Superman position and not performing the number of reps like you may do in the other exercises.
- Continue the exercise for the recommended number of static repetitions.
Standard Crunch (Core)
Target: Entire abdominal region
- Lie on your back on an exercise mat.
- Bend your knees and place your feet on the floor.
- Place your hands behind your head for added neck support.
- Look up at the ceiling to maintain optimal spinal alignment.
- Leading with your chest, raise your upper body toward your knees while keeping your hips stable.
- Lower and continue the exercise for the recommended number of repetitions.
- Do not rush this motion, especially on the downward phase.
What do you think of this story? Leave a Comment.
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say "Yes" to Fitness® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE – 2 full years (20 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Fitness Band and Total Body Express Band Workout ABSOLUTELY FREE! (U.S. orders only)