Chair and Dumbbell Workout: Beginner
- Kneel down and place your palms flat on the floor, directly in line below your shoulder joints, as shown. (You may want to place a towel or pillow just underneath your knees to prevent any knee discomfort.)
- Draw your belly button into your spine, activating your supercenter.
- Keep your body in one straight line; do not let your back arch excessively or let your body waver.
- For optimum neck alignment, keep your face down.
- Bend your arms to no more than a 90-degree angle, lowering your chest nearly to the floor.
- Do not arch your back excessively during the motion.
- Straighten your arms as you push your upper body up away from the floor.
- Keep your palms fixed at the same position and keep your body straight.
- Try not to bend or arch your upper or lower back as you push up.
- Continue for the recommended number of repetitions.
Tip: There actually are three variations of the push-up that you can do, if you wish: The wall push-up, the knee push-up, or the standard push-up shown at left. Perform the one that is most comfortable yet challenging for you at this point.
What do you think of this story? Leave a Comment.