One-Legged Squat Reach
- Stand on left leg with right foot a few inches off ground near left ankle.
- Bend left leg about 90 degrees, keeping back straight and reaching right hand to outside of left foot.
- Return to start. Continue for 30 seconds (or 15 reps), then switch sides and repeat for 30 seconds.
- Stand with feet hip-width apart, holding a dumbbell in left hand overhead, palm facing forward, and right hand on hip.
- Lunge right leg diagonally back, bending both knees (as if doing a curtsy) while bending left elbow to bring dumbbell by right ear.
- Stand on left leg, extending left arm up, as you raise right leg out to side. Return to curtsy.
- Do 12 reps. Switch sides and repeat.
Targets shoulders, back, abs, butt, and hamstrings
- Stand with feet together, arms by sides.
- Hinge forward from hips until back is parallel to ground, arms extended down.
- Simultaneously lift left leg behind you and raise arms directly out to sides.
- Maintaining hinge position, lower arms and leg so that they are a few inches off ground; repeat for 1 minute. Switch legs for next circuit.
Targets abs, butt, and legs
- Balance on right leg, left leg bent and raised behind you slightly. With right hand on hip, lower into a squat on right leg and reach left hand toward right toes.
- Rise up, keeping left foot off floor, and reach left arm forward.
- Reach left arm overhead and lean back slightly as you extend left leg forward. Hold for 1 count, keeping abs tight, and then lean over to touch toes again.
- Do 10 reps, then switch legs and repeat.
- Stand with feet hip-width apart, lift bent right leg behind you at hip level and extend arms overhead, palms facing each other.
- Balancing on left leg, lower into a single-leg squat and hinge forward at hips, reaching both hands to floor to left of left leg as you lower right foot to floor to curtsy (right leg crossed behind left, right knee bent 90 degrees).
- Quickly return to start and repeat. (Switch sides for each circuit.)
Targets butt and hamstrings
- Stand with feet hip-width apart, holding a dumbbell in each hand, palms facing front of thighs.
- Hinge forward at hips 90 degrees as you lift extended left leg behind you so that body is parallel to floor from head to left heel, arms hanging down.
- Return to start. Do 15 to 20 reps. Switch sides and repeat. Do 2 to 3 sets.
Originally published on FitnessMagazine.com, April 2013.