The 5-Factor Diet
Chicken Chow Mein
We can fly to the moon and map the human genome, but when it comes to finding a weight-loss plan that sticks, we're stumped. Even though extra pounds haunt so many of us this time of year, only recently have experts offered hope. That's big news: We're more likely to follow a diet that has healthy recipes we can make fast. This eating program, based on The 5-Factor Diet (Meredith Books, 2006) by Harley Pasternak, a best-selling diet and fitness expert, does just that. Every recipe contains protein, fiber, carbs, and a little bit of healthy fat, so you'll never feel hungry or deprived. To follow the plan, eat three meals and two snacks a day, says Pasternak. "You'll end up consuming less overall than you normally would, because you feel satisfied all day long."
We made it super-easy by giving you a supermarket checklist of every food item you'll need, plus five exclusive recipes adapted from The 5-Factor Diet for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks.Fitness Tasted and Tested! 5-Minute Meals
They're packed with flavor and guaranteed to slim you down. Each can be prepared in just five minutes (minus the cooking time) and call for just five core ingredients, plus seasonings and oils. Try one tonight.Chicken Chow Mein
Makes: 2 servings5 Core Ingredients
- 6 ounces skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into strips
- 5 cups thinly sliced carrots
- 3 cups snow peas, stems removed
- 2 cups bean sprouts
- 1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- Cooking oil spray
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- Coat a wok with cooking spray and place over heat. Once the pan is hot, add the chicken strips and stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the carrots, snow peas, bean sprouts, sesame seeds, and garlic powder. Stir-fry for 1 minute.
- Add the soy sauce and cook for 1 minute. Ladle into shallow bowls and garnish with a few additional sesame seeds.
Nutrition facts per serving: 375 calories, 34g protein, 54g carbohydrate, 5g fat (1g saturated), 15g fiber.
What do you think of this story? Leave a Comment.