Healthy Airplane Food: DietDetective.com Annual Airline Snacking and Onboard Food Survey with Health Ratings for 2007
Delta Air Lines
Cooperation from Airline: Helpful
Health Score: (***) The snack choices are not great; however, if you're on a flight that's over 4 1/2 hours, there is an EATS Menu (created by famed chef Todd English) that lets you purchase real food with some decent choices. Plus, Delta is moving away from snack boxes and will provide the EATS Menu on most flights. Good for them -- a big improvement over last year.
Best Bet: For short trips, peanuts from the snack basket are the most satisfying and nutritious choice. From the snack box, the raisins would be the only keeper. The EATS menu includes Kashi cereal with fruit and a Grilled Mediterranean Shrimp Salad, which are the best choices. Skip the Roast Beef, the Cheddar, Turkey Bacon, and Apple Butter Croissant, and the Nutella Banana PB&J -- unless you plan a long hike after you land. If you're thinking about getting a snack from the EATS menu, your best bets are the Clif bar and the animal crackers. If you have someone to share with, go for the trail mix, but it's loaded with calories, so be wary.
Total Calories: 370 (Snack Box)
Exercise Equivalents: (Amount of walking to burn off the calories) 96 minutes for the Snack Box.
Cost: Free from the snack basket, $1-$3 per individual snack, $4-$9 per mealSnack Choices
Snack Basket (pick one item -- flights of 1.5 hours or more)
- Dry-roasted peanuts, 1 ounce, 30 nuts, 170 calories, 44 minutes
- Biscoff Cookies, 5 cookies, 146 calories, 38 minutes
- Lance Honey Peanut Butter Crackers, 1 package, 190 calories, 49 minutes
Snack Box (flights of 3.5 hours or more)
- Parmesan Peppercorn Cheese Spread (1 ounce, 70 calories)
- Pepperidge Farm Crackers (0.5 ounce, 60 calories)
- Raisins (1 ounce, 90 calories)
- Walker's Chocolate Chip Shortbread Cookies (1 ounce, 150 calories)
EATS Snacks (4.5 hours or more)
- Pringles (3 ounces, 480 calories, 125 minutes)
- Clif Mojo Bar (1 bar, 200 calories, 52 minutes)
- Dove Milk Chocolate Bar with Almonds (1 bar, 570 calories, 148 minutes)
- Animal Crackers (32 pieces, 240 calories, 62 minutes)
- Snack/Trail Mix (6 ounces, 720 calories, 187 minutes)
What do you think of this story? Leave a Comment.
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say "Yes" to Fitness® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE – 2 full years (20 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Fitness Band and Total Body Express Band Workout ABSOLUTELY FREE! (U.S. orders only)