Calorie Bargain: E4B "Easy for Busy" Fruit Pouches
The Why: Of course, having fresh fruit is always the best choice, but E4B (short for "Easy for Busy") is really an extraordinary food product -- and it's pretty close to the "real thing." In a nutshell, it's blended fruit in a squeezable pouch -- that's it. There are absolutely no additives, no cream, and no preservatives -- nothing. The packaging is a unique squeeze pouch designed by NASA. It's innovative, convenient, and smart. I've been testing this stuff for more than a week, drinking a bit each morning for an energy boost, and I just think it's great.
The Health Bonus: The product is rich in vitamins, minerals, and even fiber: It's not strained, so all the fiber is still "in there." For instance, the Blueberry/Raspberry has 3 grams per serving. Following are the amounts of fruit in each pouch as listed on the front of the package:
- Pear/Caramel: 1/2 pear, 1 apple, 1/4 banana
- Blueberry/Raspberry: 110 blueberries, 6 raspberries, 1/2 banana, 1 1/2 apples
- Mango: 2 mangoes, 1 apple, 1/3 banana
- Strawberry/Banana: 6 strawberries, 1/2 banana, 1 apple
- Kiwi: 1 kiwi, 1 passion fruit, 1 apple
What We Liked Best: All the flavors taste amazing, and the packaging is fantastic. My favorite is the Pear/Caramel; it's off the charts. You can also use these to make frozen fruit drinks, as toppings for pancakes, or even as frozen desserts. Keep in mind, they're not thick enough to use as a spread instead of butter or jam -- but they're rich, sort of like a smoothie.
What We Liked Least: They're made with apple and other juice concentrates, which isn't terrible but does naturally increase the sugar content.
What It Replaces: A candy bar, doughnut, muffin, ice cream.
The Price: One case with 10 units is $29.99 -- a bit expensive.
Offerings: Mango, Pear/Caramel, Strawberry/Banana, Blueberry/Raspberry, and Kiwi.
Nutritional Information: Pear/Caramel, serving size 4 ounces or 1/3 container (280 calories per container), calories 70, fat calories 0, total fat 0g, saturated fat 0g, trans fat 0g, cholesterol 0mg, sodium 15mg, total carbs 18g, dietary fiber 1g, sugars 16g, protein 0gIngredients
- Mango: Apples, mangoes, bananas, apple juice concentrate, natural flavor
- Pear/Caramel: Apples, pears, bananas, apple juice concentrate, natural flavor: vanilla, pear, caramel
- Strawberry/Banana: Apples, strawberries, bananas, cherry juice, apple juice concentrate, aronia berries juice concentrate, natural flavors
- Blueberry/Raspberry: Apples, blueberries, bananas, raspberries, apple juice concentrate, natural flavors
- Kiwi: Apples, kiwis, apple juice concentrate, passion fruit concentrate, bananas
Where to Buy: store.e4b.com
Charles Stuart Platkin is a nutrition and public health advocate, founder and editor of DietDetective.com, the health and fitness network, and author of The Diet Detective's Calorie Bargain Bible. Copyright 2008 by Charles Stuart Platkin. All rights reserved.
Reprinted with permission from www.dietdetective.com, May 2008.
What do you think of this story? Leave a Comment.
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say "Yes" to Fitness® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE – 2 full years (20 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Fitness Band and Total Body Express Band Workout ABSOLUTELY FREE! (U.S. orders only)