How Many Calories Are You Really Eating?
The Best Foods to Eat......when you're starving
These fiber-rich foods satisfy and fill you up:
- Whole-grain cereal such as Shredded Wheat 'n Bran (8g fiber, 200 calories per 1 1/4 cup)
- Tabouli (5g fiber, 160 calories per 1/2 cup)
- Broccoli (5.1g fiber, 55 calories per 1 cup, cooked)
- Raspberries (8g fiber, 64 calories per cup)
- Artichokes (6.5g fiber, 60 calories per artichoke)
- Angel food cake (0.15g fat, 128 calories per slice) with fresh sliced mango
- Couscous (0.25g fat, 176 calories per cup, cooked)
- Veggie burgers (3.5g fat, 90 to 100 calories per Boca or Gardenburger)
- Medium baked sweet potato (0.15g fat, 103 calories)
- Part-skim mozzarella cheese (4.5g fat, 72 calories per ounce)
Start with these, and you'll eat a smaller meal -- but feel just as full:
- Strawberries (46 calories per cup)
- Light yogurt (60 calories per 6-ounce container)
- Gazpacho (46 calories per cup)
- Baby spinach salad with 2 cups baby spinach and 2 tablespoons light dressing (36 calories)
- 5-10 baby carrots with 2 tablespoons light ranch dip (109 calories)
Sources: Keith-Thomas Ayoob, RD, assistant professor of nutrition at Albert Einstein College of Medicine in New York and author of The Uncle Sam Diet; Joanne L. Slavin, PhD, a professor of nutrition at the University of Minnesota in Minneapolis; Barbara J. Rolls, PhD; Lisa R. Young, PhD, RD, author of The Portion Teller
Originally published in FITNESS magazine, November 2006.
What do you think of this story? Leave a Comment.
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say "Yes" to Fitness® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE – 2 full years (20 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Fitness Band and Total Body Express Band Workout ABSOLUTELY FREE! (U.S. orders only)