How Many Calories Are You Really Eating?
The Only 3 Diet Rules You Need to Know1. Eat More...
- Fruits and vegetables: Produce is naturally low in calories and high in water and fiber, so it fills you up.
- Low-fat dairy: Research shows that the calcium in skim milk, cheese, and yogurt may help your body burn fat.
- Whole grains: They're rich in fiber and more filling than refined grains. Try oatmeal or whole-grain bread with at least two grams fiber per slice.
- Lean protein: It's slowly digested, so it stays in your stomach longer. Good choices: Pork tenderloin, broiled Pacific halibut, skinless chicken, and deli turkey breast.
- Salads and broth-based soups: Start your meals with a high-volume, low-calorie food like vegetable soup and you'll eat less overall.
- Beans and legumes: Toss some black beans or chickpeas into your salad at lunch. They boast a unique combination of fiber to fill you up and protein to keep you satisfied.
- Sweetened cereals and yogurt: The typical 6-ounce container of yogurt with fruit on the bottom packs more than two tablespoons of sugar -- more than 100 calories.
- White carbs such as bread, pasta, and rice: They contain empty calories and little fiber.
- "Fake foods" like rice cakes: They're so lacking in taste that you end up overeating them because you never feel satisfied.
- Salty or fried snacks: Not only are they loaded with heart-clogging saturated fat, these foods also invite mindless munching.
- Sweetened drinks such as soda and iced tea: Drinking just one can of soda a day equals about 150 calories -- and 15 extra pounds a year.
- Bagels, muffins, cakes, and cookies: The average deli bagel is so enormous that it counts as four servings of bread.
- Butter, mayonnaise, and full-fat salad dressing: Butter and mayo contain more than 100 calories per tablespoon, and salad dressing can have 75 calories or more. Switch to light mayo and dressing and use them sparingly.
What do you think of this story? Leave a Comment.
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say "Yes" to Fitness® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE – 2 full years (20 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Fitness Band and Total Body Express Band Workout ABSOLUTELY FREE! (U.S. orders only)