Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Makes: 12 cornsticks
- 1/2 cup 2 percent low-fat milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/3 cup canned Mexicorn, drained (or a mixture of corn and diced red and green peppers)
- 2 tablespoons extra-light olive oil
- 2 or 3 teaspoons finely minced jalapeno with seeds
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F. In a measuring cup combine milk and vinegar; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine next five ingredients and make a well; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine milk with remaining five ingredients. Pour mixture into well and stir until dry ingredients are just moistened and batter is still slightly lumpy.
- Pour batter into cornstick pan coated with cooking spray, filling each mold about three-quarters full and smoothing surface of batter with a rubber spatula.
- Bake 15 to 18 minutes or until tops are light golden and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on rack five minutes; remove from pan to cool completely.
Per cornstick: 86 calories, 2g protein, 13g carbohydrate, 3g fat (1g saturated), 1g fiber