6 Ways to Snack Smarter
Make Over Your Munchies
Standard healthy snacks starting to feel like a snoozefest? Take five typical bites from average to awesome with these ideas, each around 200 calories.
Old standby: Carrot sticks with ranch dressing
New favorite: Spicy citrus sticks and avocado
- Toss 1 cup jicama matchsticks in a bowl with the juice of 1/2 lime, 1/4 teaspoon chili powder, and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Enjoy with 1/2 avocado.
Old standby: Microwave popcorn
New favorite: Pumpkin-spice popcorn
- Toss 4 cups air-popped popcorn with 2 tablespoons roasted pumpkin seeds; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon.
Old standby: Apples with peanut butter
New favorite: Baked pear with honey
- Halve a small pear and bake at 375° for 30 minutes. Top with 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts and 1 teaspoon honey. Dust with ground ginger.
Old standby: Low-fat yogurt with fruit
New favorite: Cheesy apple slices
- Mix 1 ounce goat cheese with 1 chopped date and a splash of vanilla. Spread on a sliced small apple.
Old standby: Whole wheat crackers
New favorite: Kale chips
- Drizzle 1 bunch chopped kale with 2 teaspoons olive oil and salt to taste. Bake at 300° for 15 to 20 minutes, or until crisp.
Originally published in FITNESS magazine, November/December 2013.
What do you think of this story? Leave a Comment.