The Sandwich Generation: Healthy Sandwich Recipes
Pages in this Story:
Ellie Krieger, RD, host of the Food Network's Healthy Appetite and author of Small Changes, Big Results, gave the standard vegetarian sandwich this modern and exotic makeover.
Start to finish: 20 minutes
Makes: 4 servings
- 2 medium zucchini, about 1/2 pound each, sliced lengthwise into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup hummus (store-bought)
- 4 pieces whole-grain wrap bread (about 2 ounces each)
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 2 large tomatoes, sliced
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves
- 1/2 cup sliced red onion
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves
- Preheat the broiler. Discard the outermost slices of zucchini and brush the rest with oil; dust with salt and pepper. Place on a baking sheet and broil about 3 inches from heat for 5 minutes on each side, or until tender and slightly browned.
- Spread 1/4 cup hummus on each wrap and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon pine nuts. Top with a few slices of tomato and zucchini, 1/2 cup spinach, a few sliced onions, and 1 tablespoon mint. Roll up and cut in half on a diagonal.
Nutrition facts per serving: 373 calories, 14g protein, 51g carbohydrate, 17g fat (2g saturated), 13g fiber
What do you think of this story? Leave a Comment.