The Sandwich Generation: Healthy Sandwich Recipes
Pages in this Story:
Spicy Tuna Salad
Cat Cora is the first female Iron Chef on the Food Network's Iron Chef America and author of Cooking from the Hip. Cora created this twist on the typical tuna salad.
Start to finish: 20-25 minutes
Makes: 4 servings
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic (about 2 large cloves)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 2 1/2 6-ounce cans light tuna in water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried chili flakes, crushed
- 2 finely chopped scallions
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 30 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh Italian flat-leaf parsley
- 8 slices thick-cut wheat bread
- 6-8 lettuce leaves for garnish
- In a small bowl, whisk together ingredients for dressing; set aside. Drain water from tuna. In a large bowl, toss tuna with remaining ingredients, except parsley.
- Before serving, pour dressing over tuna and mix gently; sprinkle with parsley. Spread tuna on 4 slices of bread. Top with lettuce leaves and another slice of bread.
Nutrition facts per serving: 481 calories, 34g protein, 41g carbohydrate, 21g fat (3g saturated), 7g fiber
What do you think of this story? Leave a Comment.