Throwing a party just got a whole lot easier with these healthy recipe ideas from celebrity chef Rocco DiSpirito.
Throw the Perfect Party
You don't have to shell out the big bucks to throw a decadent feast for your next party. Here, celebrity chef Rocco DiSpirito shares some of his favorite party recipes you can whip up in 30 minutes or less for your next soiree. Oh, and did we mention they are all under 300 calories?
Sweet Potato Latkes with Applesauce
Prep: 30 minutes
1 1/2 cups peeled and grated white turnip
1/2 cup peeled and grated Idaho potato
1/2 cup peeled and grated white sweet potato
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme, plus 1 sprig fresh thyme
2 Fuji apples , peeled, cored, and cut into 2-inch pieces
1/2 teaspoon coconut nectar
2 teaspoons egg white powder
Salt and ground black pepper
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spray it lightly with cooking spray.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine the grated turnip and both potatoes. Mix in the thyme leaves, then season with salt and black pepper. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and microwave on high for 3 minutes, or until the vegetables are just tender, stirring twice. Place the bowl in the freezer to cool for about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile place the apples, thyme sprig, and coconut nectar in a separate microwave bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Microwave on high for 3 minutes, or until the apples are just tender, stirring twice. Remove and discard the thyme sprig. Use a potato masher to mash the apples (you can also use a food processor for smoother consistency). Set aside.
- Once the vegetables are cooled to room temperature, add the egg white powder and mix thoroughly.
- On the prepared baking sheet, make 12 equal piles of the vegetable mixture, then form each into a slightly flattened disk. Spritz the top of each latke with cooking spray. Bake for 10 minutes, then use a spatula to carefully flip them and bake for another 6 to 7 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Place 3 latkes on each serving plate and top with applesauce.
Nutritional information per serving (3 latkes with applesauce): 87 calories; 0g fat; 0mg cholesterol; 20g carbohydrate; 3g protein; 3g fiber; 214mg sodium