Lighten Up: Healthy Burrito Recipe
Wrap Star: Cheesy Steak Burritos
Makes: 6 servings
2 portobello mushroom caps
Nonstick cooking spray
2 teaspoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 pound flank steak
6 (8-inch) fat-free flour tortillas
1 can (16 ounces) fat-free refried beans
3 cups shredded romaine lettuce
3/4 cup bottled taco sauce
2 medium tomatoes, diced
1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
1. Heat gas grill to medium-high and mist mushrooms with cooking spray.
2. Sprinkle most of the chili powder, salt, and pepper on mushrooms; pat the rest onto steak.
3. Grill mushrooms for 5 minutes with cover closed; turn. Add steak to grill. Grill, covered, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
4. Remove meat and mushrooms from grill; let stand 3 minutes, then slice into strips.
5. Spread 1/4 cup beans down a tortilla's center. Microwave on high for 30 to 40 seconds; top with 1/3 cup steak mixture, 1/2 cup lettuce, 2 tablespoons taco sauce, 3 tablespoons tomato and 1 tablespoon cheese. Roll; prepare remaining burritos.
Nutrition facts per burrito: 373 calories, 27g protein, 41g carbohydrate, 9g fat (4g saturated), 7g fiberHealthy Cooking Tips
Here's the Beef
Order flank at the meat counter for lean protein and less fat per serving than a skinless chicken thigh, says Kerry Neville, RD, an American Dietetic Association spokesperson.
Refried beans are traditionally fried in lard, but the fat-free version is simply mashed. A half cup packs 5 grams of filling fiber plus 10 percent of your daily iron intake.
By combining steak with antioxidant-rich portobellos, you're also stretching your dollar. They cost about $1 per pound, compared to $7 for a flank steak.
Get Fired Up
"Grilling requires less fat than sauteing," Neville says. Plus, you get that smoky flavor that only cooking alfresco can provide.
Don't let your burrito have a breakdown. Here's how to roll it: Fold the bottom up just until it covers some of the filling. Fold right side over and tuck under filling. Roll toward unfolded edge.
What do you think of this story? Leave a Comment.