Corn Bread Salad
Makes: 6 servings
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 18 minutes
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 package (8.5 ounces) corn-muffin mix, prepared according to package directions Salt
2 ears corn, shucked
4 ounces each fresh green beans and yellow wax beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
1 1/2 cups shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
1 large tomato, chopped
1 small red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch strips
3 scallions, including green tops, thinly sliced
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Whisk vinegar, mustard, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Slowly whisk in oil; let stand.
3. Cut corn bread into 1-inch cubes. Place cubes in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake, stirring once, 8 to 10 minutes, or until lightly toasted. Let cool.
4. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add corn and cook 5 minutes. Add beans and cook 3 minutes longer, or until beans are crisp-tender.
5. Remove corn and beans; rinse under cold running water. Cut corn off cobs.
6. Combine corn, beans, cheese, tomato, red pepper, scallions, basil, and dressing; toss to combine. Add corn bread and toss gently. Serve immediately.
Nutrition facts per serving: 311 calories, 16g protein, 34g carbohydrate, 15g fat (6g saturated), 5g fiber
What do you think of this story? Leave a Comment.
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say "Yes" to Fitness® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE – 2 full years (20 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Fitness Band and Total Body Express Band Workout ABSOLUTELY FREE! (U.S. orders only)