Makes: 6 servings
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
1 1/2 cups brown basmati rice
1 inch fresh gingerroot, peeled
2 garlic cloves, peeled
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon each ground cumin, ground coriander, and ground turmeric
Pinch cayenne pepper
1 cup light coconut milk
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 large onion, halved and sliced
1 cinnamon stick
Large handful green beans (6 ounces), sliced crosswise into 1/4-inch pieces
1/4 cup chopped roasted cashews
1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
2 to 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, or to taste
2 tablespoons sliced fresh mint or cilantro (optional)
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add the rice. Boil for 25 minutes; drain well.
2. Meanwhile, finely grate the gingerroot and crush the garlic and place in a large bowl; combine with the salt, cumin, coriander, turmeric, cayenne pepper, and 1/2 cup of the coconut milk. Add the chicken; cover and refrigerate until the rice is ready.
3. Warm the olive oil in a medium Dutch oven over medium-high heat until it shimmers. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until it begins to brown, 5 minutes. Add the cinnamon stick and continue to cook, stirring, until fragrant, 3 more minutes.
4. Reduce the heat to low. Transfer half the onions to a plate, leaving the cinnamon stick and the rest of the onions in the pot. Over them, layer the partially cooked rice, green beans, half the cashews, and then the chicken with its marinade. Pour the chicken broth and the remaining coconut milk over the top; sprinkle with the reserved onions.
5. Cover and cook over low heat until the chicken and rice are cooked through and the liquid has been absorbed, about 20 minutes. Add the lemon juice and serve topped with the remaining cashews and, if desired, the sliced mint or cilantro.
Nutrition facts per serving: 376 calories, 23g protein, 45g carbohydrate, 12g fat (3g saturated), 3g fiber
What do you think of this story? Leave a Comment.