6 Dishes That Slash 1,000 Calories Off Your Meal
Herb StuffingServe Fresh Herb Stuffing with Turkey Sausage and Cranberries...
...instead of traditional bread stuffing
Classic stuffing is loaded with butter -- most recipes calling for as much as a stick and a half! Here, we use less than a third that amount.
Calories saved: 161
Grams of fat saved: 8 (1g saturated)
Makes: 12 1-cup servings
- 1 1-pound loaf whole wheat bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 8 ounces spicy or regular bulk turkey sausage (or purchase links and remove casing)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 large stalks celery, very thinly sliced
- 1 large (10-ounce) red onion, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 12 large fresh sage leaves, finely chopped (about 3 tablespoons)
- 3 cups natural, fat-free chicken broth
- 1/3 cup dried, sweetened cranberries
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3/4 teaspoons fine sea salt, or to taste
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Arrange bread cubes evenly on two large baking pans. Brown in oven for about 25 minutes.
- In a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, cook sausage for 5 minutes, breaking into small pieces as it browns; place in a 9-by-13-inch baking pan.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add celery, onion, garlic, and sage. Lightly brown, stirring often, about 12 minutes. Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, simmer broth, cranberries, and butter for about 10 minutes.
- Add celery mixture, bread cubes, and cranberry broth to sausage. Stir until broth is absorbed. Season with salt to taste.
- Evenly spread stuffing in pan; cover with foil. Bake for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake 10 minutes.
Per serving: 199 calories, 8g protein, 25g carbohydrate, 9g fat (3g saturated), 3g fiber.
What do you think of this story? Leave a Comment.
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say "Yes" to Fitness® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE – 2 full years (20 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Fitness Band and Total Body Express Band Workout ABSOLUTELY FREE! (U.S. orders only)