6 Dishes That Slash 1,000 Calories Off Your Meal
Green Bean CasseroleServe Green Bean Mini Casseroles...
...instead of classic green-bean casserole
Canned fried onions don't come close to the sweet, fragrant caramelized ones used in our makeover. Plus, guests get their own individual casserole!
Calories saved: 65
Grams of fat saved: 9 (6g saturated)
Makes: 6 1-cup servings
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen cut green beans
- 1 can (14-ounce) organic semi-condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 recipe Caramelized Onions, below (about 1 1/4 cups), divided
- 1/3 cup plain soy milk
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 10 reduced-fat potato chips, crumbled
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Portion green beans among 6 ramekins or other 1-cup baking dishes.
- In a medium bowl, stir soup, 1/2 cup caramelized onions, soy milk, soy sauce, salt, and pepper. Divide soup mixture evenly and pour over beans.
- Place dishes on a baking pan. Bake for 20 minutes, or until steaming.
- Remove from oven; stir. Top with onions and chips.
- Bake 10 minutes more, or until beans are steaming.
Per serving: 135 calories, 4g protein, 19g carbohydrate, 5g fat (1g saturated), 5g fiber.Caramelized Onions
Makes about 2 1/2 cupsIngredients
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 4 large (10 ounces each) white onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
- Heat oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onions and salt. Stir occasionally for 15 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium-high. Stir often for 8 minutes, or until golden brown. Chill until use in Caramelized Onion Gravy.
Per cup: 234 calories, 6g protein, 44g carbohydrate, 5g fat (0g saturated), 9g fiber
What do you think of this story? Leave a Comment.