Heart-Healthy Dried-Fruit Scones
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
Makes: 8 sconesIngredients
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup raisins
1/4 cup golden raisins
1/4 cup dried apricots, chopped
1/4 cup dried apple, chopped
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup crystallized ginger, chopped
1/2 cup fresh or frozen cranberries or blueberries, chopped
1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
2 tablespoons water
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extractDirections
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and heat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl, mix together all dry ingredients. Add dried and fresh or frozen fruit; mix to evenly distribute fruit.
- In a small bowl, whisk together eggs, yogurt, buttermilk, and vegetable oil until well combined and smooth. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and, using a wooden spoon or spatula, fold all ingredients together until all the dry is mixed in and mixture becomes a soft dough.
- Use a 1/2-cup measuring cup to scoop out scant 1/2-cup rounds of dough and place on a greased or parchment-lined cookie sheet. Bake in 350-degree oven until golden brown and firm, 40 to 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the vanilla glaze: In a small bowl, whisk together confectioners' sugar, water, and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Remove scones from oven and let cool to room temperature. Drizzle glaze over scones with a spoon; let set for 10 to 15 minutes. Best served the day they are baked, but may be stored in an airtight container for a day.
Nutrition facts per scone: 435 calories, 8g protein, 84g carbohydrate, 9g fat (1g saturated), 3g fiber
What do you think of this story? Leave a Comment.