Eat Carbs for Breakfast
Carrot-Raisin Quick Bread
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 60 minutes
Makes: 10 servings
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup toasted wheat germ
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup canned crushed pineapple in juice, lightly drained
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 cups grated carrot
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup extra-light olive oil
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray and lightly dust it with flour; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine first 7 ingredients. Make a well in the center; set aside.
- In a bowl, combine remaining 5 ingredients. Pour mixture into well in dry ingredients and stir until mix is just moistened and batter is still slightly lumpy. Transfer into the loaf pan.
- Bake 60 to 70 minutes, or until top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes in pan on a rack, then remove from pan to cool completely.
Per serving: 326 calories, 5 g protein, 50 g carbohydrate, 12 g fat (2 g saturated), 2 g fiber.
What do you think of this story? Leave a Comment.
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say "Yes" to Fitness® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE – 2 full years (20 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Fitness Band and Total Body Express Band Workout ABSOLUTELY FREE! (U.S. orders only)