Eat Carbs for Breakfast
Apple-Ginger Oat-Bran Muffins
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Makes: 12 muffins
- 1/2 cup 2 percent milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup oat bran
- 1/2 cup (packed) light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-light olive oil
- 3/4 cup finely chopped unpeeled apple
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon extra-light olive oil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped unpeeled apple
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F. Line the cups of a standard muffin pan with paper liners or coat cups with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a measuring cup, combine milk and vinegar; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine next 7 dry ingredients. Make a well in the center; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine milk with next 5 ingredients. Pour mixture into well and stir until batter is still slightly lumpy.
- Pour into muffin pan.
- To make topping: In a bowl, combine flour and cinnamon. Stir in oil until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in apple. Sprinkle over batter.
- Bake 15 to 18 minutes, or until tops are golden and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes in pan on a rack; remove from pan to cool completely.
Per serving: 151 calories, 4 g protein, 25 g carbohydrate, 5 g fat (1 g saturated), 2 g fiber.
What do you think of this story? Leave a Comment.
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say "Yes" to Fitness® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE – 2 full years (20 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Fitness Band and Total Body Express Band Workout ABSOLUTELY FREE! (U.S. orders only)