Eat Carbs for Breakfast
Blueberry-Orange Mini Loaves
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
Makes: 8 servings
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1 cup 2 percent milk
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons extra-light olive oil
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F. Coat two 4-by-6-inch mini loaf pans with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine first 5 ingredients. Stir in blueberries and make a well; set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine next 4 ingredients. Pour mixture into well in dry ingredients and stir until mix is just moistened and batter is still slightly lumpy.
- Pour batter into pans until they are three-quarters full. Sprinkle remaining 1 teaspoon sugar evenly over both loaves. Bake 40 to 45 minutes, or until tops are light golden and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes in pan on a rack, then remove from pan to cool completely.
Per serving: 219 calories, 5 g protein, 38 g carbohydrate, 5 g fat (1 g saturated), 2 g fiber.
What do you think of this story? Leave a Comment.
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say "Yes" to Fitness® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE – 2 full years (20 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Fitness Band and Total Body Express Band Workout ABSOLUTELY FREE! (U.S. orders only)