1. Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Wrap beets in foil; roast in a roasting pan for 30 minutes.
3. In a bowl, toss together carrots, onions, 2 teaspoons oil, thyme and half of the salt and pepper; add to roasting pan. Roast 20 minutes more, or until vegetables are tender.
4. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan over medium-low heat, dissolve sugar, honey and mustard in vinegar; add cranberries. Simmer for 5 minutes; whisk in remaining salt, pepper and oil.
5. Remove from heat. When vegetables are done, remove foil from beets and let cool slightly.
6. When cool enough to handle, peel beets and cut into 1-inch chunks. Mound lettuce onto four plates; top with beets and other roasted vegetables and goat cheese. Drizzle with dressing.