The Healthy Heart Cookbook
Pages in this Story:
- Take This to Heart
- Salmon Cakes with Creamy Ginger-Sesame Sauce
- Succotash with Scallops
- Orange-Pistachio Wild-Rice Salad
- Spiced Red Wine-Poached Pears
- Curried Butternut Squash Soup
- Pasta with Escarole, White Beans, and Sausage
- Confetti Chili
- Waldorf Chicken Wraps
- Asian-Style Three Bean Salad
- Broccoli with Toasted Garlic
- Ellie's 5 Key Ingredients for Heart-Healthy Meals
Makes: 8 servingsIngredients
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 red bell pepper, diced (1 cup)
- 2 carrots, diced (1/2 cup)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried coriander
- 1 pound extra-lean ground beef (90 percent lean)
- 28-ounce can no-salt-added crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- 1 chipotle chili (canned in adobo sauce), seeded and minced
- 2 teaspoons adobo sauce, from the can of chipotles
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 15-1/2-ounce can no-salt-added black beans, drained and rinsed
- 15-1/2-ounce can no-salt-added kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn kernels
- Heat oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over moderate heat. Add onion, bell pepper, and carrots. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are soft, about 10 minutes. Add cumin and coriander and cook, stirring, for 1 minute more.
- Add ground beef; raise the heat to high and cook, breaking up the meat with a spoon, until no longer pink. Stir in tomatoes, water, chipotle, adobo sauce, oregano, ground coriander, salt, and pepper.
- Turn down the heat and simmer, partially covered, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes.
- Add the beans and cook 20 minutes more. Stir in corn and cook until heated through. Season with salt and pepper.
Per serving: 270 calories, 22g protein, 32g carbohydrate, 7g fat (2g saturated), 9g fiber
What do you think of this story? Leave a Comment.