The Healthy Heart Cookbook
Pages in this Story:
- Take This to Heart
- Salmon Cakes with Creamy Ginger-Sesame Sauce
- Succotash with Scallops
- Orange-Pistachio Wild-Rice Salad
- Spiced Red Wine-Poached Pears
- Curried Butternut Squash Soup
- Pasta with Escarole, White Beans, and Sausage
- Confetti Chili
- Waldorf Chicken Wraps
- Asian-Style Three Bean Salad
- Broccoli with Toasted Garlic
- Ellie's 5 Key Ingredients for Heart-Healthy Meals
Pasta with Escarole, White Beans, and Sausage
Makes: 4 servingsIngredients
- 3/4 pound whole wheat bow tie (or other shape) pasta
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 ounces low-fat Italian-style chicken sausage, casings removed, crumbled
- 1 medium-size head escarole, rinsed, drained and chopped (about 8 cups)
- 14-ounce can low-sodium great northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon sage leaves, crumbled
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 ounce grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Heat oil over medium heat in a large, deep skillet or an 8-quart stockpot. Saute onion until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes; add garlic and cook 1 minute. Stir in sausage and cook until heated through and browned, about 4 minutes. Add escarole and cook until wilted, 3 to 4 minutes. Add beans, 1 cup chicken broth, red pepper flakes and sage; simmer until mixture is heated through and liquid is slightly reduced.
- Pour over pasta and toss; add remaining chicken broth if needed. Season with freshly ground black pepper and top with Parmesan cheese.
Per serving: 571 calories, 33g protein, 89g carbohydrate, 13g fat (4g saturated), 16g fiber
What do you think of this story? Leave a Comment.