The Healthy Heart Cookbook
Pages in this Story:
- Take This to Heart
- Salmon Cakes with Creamy Ginger-Sesame Sauce
- Succotash with Scallops
- Orange-Pistachio Wild-Rice Salad
- Spiced Red Wine-Poached Pears
- Curried Butternut Squash Soup
- Pasta with Escarole, White Beans, and Sausage
- Confetti Chili
- Waldorf Chicken Wraps
- Asian-Style Three Bean Salad
- Broccoli with Toasted Garlic
- Ellie's 5 Key Ingredients for Heart-Healthy Meals
Spiced Red Wine-Poached Pears
Makes: 4 servingsIngredients
- 2 cups dry red wine, such as Cabernet or Merlot
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- Juice of 1 orange (about 1/2 cup)
- 1-inch-by-3-inch strip orange zest
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 cloves
- 4 firm, ripe pears
- In a 4-quart saucepan, combine wine, sugar, orange juice, zest, cinnamon stick, and cloves. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 5 minutes.
- While liquid is simmering, peel pears, leaving stems intact. Slice 1/2 inch off the base of pears to create a flat bottom. Gently place pears in liquid, cover, and simmer, turning every 5 minutes, until pears are cooked but still firm, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from saucepan and set aside.
- Turn the heat up to medium-high and cook the liquid until it is thickened and slightly syrupy, about 15 minutes. Pour sauce over pears and chill at least 3 hours before serving.
Per serving: 185 calories, 1g protein, 45g carbohydrate, 1g fat (0g saturated), 4g fiber
What do you think of this story? Leave a Comment.