The Healthy Heart Cookbook
Pages in this Story:
- Take This to Heart
- Salmon Cakes with Creamy Ginger-Sesame Sauce
- Succotash with Scallops
- Orange-Pistachio Wild-Rice Salad
- Spiced Red Wine-Poached Pears
- Curried Butternut Squash Soup
- Pasta with Escarole, White Beans, and Sausage
- Confetti Chili
- Waldorf Chicken Wraps
- Asian-Style Three Bean Salad
- Broccoli with Toasted Garlic
- Ellie's 5 Key Ingredients for Heart-Healthy Meals
Orange-Pistachio Wild-Rice Salad
Makes: 6 servingsIngredients
- 1/4 cup chopped pistachios
- 1/2 cup brown rice
- 3/4 cup wild rice
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 orange, peel and pith removed, segmented and sliced (about 2/3 cup)
- 10 large basil leaves, sliced into ribbons(about 1/3 cup)
- 1/4 cup minced red onion
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Toast nuts in a dry skillet over medium-high heat until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Combine brown rice, wild rice, and chicken broth in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer until all liquid is evaporated and rice is fully cooked, 45 to 55 minutes. Remove from heat and cool completely.
- Transfer rice to a medium bowl. Add orange, basil, red onion, pistachios, and orange zest; mix.
- In a small bowl, whisk together red wine vinegar, olive oil, orange juice, mustard, honey, and salt. Pour dressing over the rice mixture and toss.
Per serving: 250 calories, 7g protein, 33g carbohydrate, 10g fat (2g saturated), 3g fiber
What do you think of this story? Leave a Comment.
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say "Yes" to Fitness® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE – 2 full years (20 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Fitness Band and Total Body Express Band Workout ABSOLUTELY FREE! (U.S. orders only)