The Healthy Heart Cookbook
Pages in this Story:
- Take This to Heart
- Salmon Cakes with Creamy Ginger-Sesame Sauce
- Succotash with Scallops
- Orange-Pistachio Wild-Rice Salad
- Spiced Red Wine-Poached Pears
- Curried Butternut Squash Soup
- Pasta with Escarole, White Beans, and Sausage
- Confetti Chili
- Waldorf Chicken Wraps
- Asian-Style Three Bean Salad
- Broccoli with Toasted Garlic
- Ellie's 5 Key Ingredients for Heart-Healthy Meals
Salmon Cakes with Creamy Ginger-Sesame Sauce
Makes: 6 servingsIngredients
- 6 slices whole wheat sandwich bread
- 2 15-ounce cans salmon, drained, skin and bones removed
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 5 scallions, divided
- 1/2 cup canned water chestnuts, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- Creamy Ginger-Sesame Sauce (recipe follows)
- Remove crusts from bread, break into pieces, and process in a food processor until they become fine crumbs.
- In a large bowl, flake apart salmon with a fork. Add eggs and mix well. Finely chop 4 scallions and add to the bowl, followed by water chestnuts, cilantro, pepper, and bread crumbs. Mix well.
- Shape the mixture into 12 patties. In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil over medium heat. Add the patties in batches and cook for 5 minutes on each side.
- Chop remaining scallion. Serve salmon cakes with sauce and garnish with scallion.
Per serving: 372 calories, 26g protein, 23g carbohydrate, 19g fat (3g saturated), 3g fiberCreamy Ginger-Sesame Sauce
Makes: 4 servingsIngredients
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt or 6 tablespoons nonfat Greek-style yogurt
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 tablespoons freshly grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon low-sodium soy sauce
- If using regular yogurt, place it in a strainer lined with a paper towel. Put the strainer over a bowl and place it in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to let the yogurt drain and thicken.
- In a small bowl, combine the thickened or Greek-style yogurt with mayonnaise, ginger, sesame oil, and soy sauce. Whisk until smooth.
What do you think of this story? Leave a Comment.