To Be or Not To Be Gluten-Free?
Gluten-Free Recipes: Dessert
Warm Flourless Chocolate Cake
Gluten alternative: Cornstarch
Makes: 8 servings
Prep: 25-30 minutes
Cook: 8-10 minutes
For the cakes:
8 ounces good quality dark chocolate (60-70% cacoa), chopped
1 large egg
2 very ripe bananas, sliced (1 1/4 cups)
1/2 cup mashed yam or canned pumpkin
1/4 cup honey
1 tablespoon grated orange zest
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3 large egg whites
Pinch of kosher salt
1 orange, peeled and separated into segments
For the sauce:
1 cup fresh orange juice
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon half-and-half
1 tablespoon Grand Marnier
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray eight 4-ounce ramekins with cooking spray and place on a baking sheet.
2. Prepare sauce: Pour all but 1 tablespoon of the orange juice into a small saucepan and place over low heat. In a small bowl, stir cornstarch into reserved orange juice until smooth. When the juice comes to a simmer, whisk in the cornstarch and juice slurry; continue whisking for 30 seconds until thickened. Remove from heat and let cool 15 minutes. Whisk in the half-and-half and Grand Marnier. Set aside. (Sauce can be served warm, at room temp or chilled.)
3. Make the cakes: Place a bowl over a saucepan filled with a few inches of simmering water (water should not touch bowl.) Place chocolate in the bowl and let stand until chocolate us shiny and soft, about 10 minutes. Stir with a rubber spatula until smooth and remove from heat.
4. Combine egg, bananas, yam, honey, orange zest and vanilla in a blender; process until very smooth. Combine banana mixture with chocolate and set aside.
5. In another bowl, use an electric mixer to whip egg whites and salt until they form soft peaks, about three minutes. Fold egg whites into chocolate mixture until just incorporated.
6. Spoon mixture into ramekins to about 1/4 inch from top. Bake until the tops are set, 8 to 10 minutes. Drizzle each cake with sauce and garnish with orange segments.
Reprinted with permission from The Golden Door Cooks at Home by Chef Dean Rucker (Clarkson Potter Publishers)
Originally published on FitnessMagazine.com, May 2012.Related Links
What do you think of this story? Leave a Comment.
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say "Yes" to Fitness® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE – 2 full years (20 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Fitness Band and Total Body Express Band Workout ABSOLUTELY FREE! (U.S. orders only)