The Happy Diet
Your Happy Diet Meal Plan
This three-day, 1,500-calorie program, created for FITNESS by Leslie Bonci, RD, proves that healthy eating isn't about deprivation. Use it to jump-start your success.Day 1
- 1 slice whole-grain toast with 2 teaspoons almond or peanut butter
- Smoothie: Blend 6 ounces low-fat lemon- or vanilla-flavored yogurt, 1/2 cup unsweetened fresh or frozen fruit, such as mixed berries, sliced peaches or a banana, and 1 cup skim milk.
- 1 pear
- 1 piece reduced-fat string cheese
- Turkey Tapenade Wrap: Spread a whole-grain tortilla with 1 tablespoon olive tapenade; top with 3 slices smoked turkey, 1 slice Muenster cheese, romaine lettuce, and roasted peppers; roll up.
- 1/4 cup almonds
- 8 ounces vegetable juice (such as V8 Light)
- Ginger Beef Vegetable Stir-Fry: Saute 4 ounces thinly sliced eye of round in a nonstick skillet with 1 teaspoon olive oil and 1/2 teaspoon grated ginger; cook about 5 minutes per side (until just pink in the middle). Remove from skillet and add 2 cups frozen Oriental vegetables to the remaining liquid; saute until crisp-tender. Serve over 1 cup cooked brown rice.
- 1 slice whole-grain toast
- 1 teaspoon each whipped butter and preserves
- Vegetable Omelet: Heat 1 teaspoon olive oil in a nonstick pan and saute 1/2 cup mushrooms, onions, and peppers; remove from skillet. Pour 2 eggs, lightly beaten, into skillet and cook over medium-high heat, until the bottom of the omelet is firm. Top with vegetable mixture and 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese. Cook 1 to 2 minutes, or until cheese melts.
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 orange
- 1 cup minestrone soup
- 5 whole-grain crackers
- Spinach Salad: 2 cups spinach leaves, 10 green olives, grape tomatoes, 2 tablespoons blue cheese, 3 ounces chicken or turkey breast, purple grapes, and 2 tablespoons vinaigrette dressing
- 14 large baked tortilla chips
- 1/4 cup guacamole and salsa
- 4-ounce tuna or salmon steak grilled with Old Bay Seasoning and fresh lemon
- 1 cup green beans sauteed in 1 teaspoon olive oil and 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 baked sweet potato (4 inches long), with a splash of orange juice and a sprinkle of cinnamon
- 1 hard-cooked egg
- Cherry Almond Oatmeal: Cook 1/2 cup dry oatmeal with low-fat milk according to package directions. Add 2 tablespoons dried cherries, 2 tablespoons almonds, and 1 tablespoon honey or maple syrup.
100-calorie bag of light popcorn mixed with 1/4 cup peanuts
- Vegetable Quesadillas: Heat 2 teaspoons olive oil in a nonstick pan; saute 1 minced garlic clove, 1/4 cup chopped onion, 6 chopped olives, and 1/4 cup each chopped mushrooms, zucchini, broccoli, and cauliflower. Add 1/2 cup chopped, seasoned canned tomatoes, drained. Cook until crisp-tender. Spoon vegetables onto two 6-inch whole-grain tortillas. Top each with a slice of part-skim mozzarella or provolone; broil until cheese melts.
- 2 ounces hummus and 10 baby carrots
- Rosemary Chicken: Brush half a chicken breast with 1 teaspoon olive oil. Sprinkle with garlic powder and 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary. Cover with foil; bake at 350 degrees F. for about 20 minutes. Season 3 cooked red potatoes with 1 teaspoon olive oil, plus garlic powder and rosemary to taste. Roast 10 spears of asparagus with 1 teaspoon olive oil, sea salt and freshly ground pepper at 450 degrees F. for 5 minutes.
Originally published in FITNESS magazine, May 2008.
What do you think of this story? Leave a Comment.
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say "Yes" to Fitness® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE – 2 full years (20 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Fitness Band and Total Body Express Band Workout ABSOLUTELY FREE! (U.S. orders only)