Follow us on Pinterest
Welcome! Log In | Register |
Log In with

The Eye-Opening Truth About Protein

  • Comment Comments (7)
  • Print Print
We all know her: that trim, toned woman who seems to live on grilled chicken, hard-boiled eggs, and nonfat yogurt. Convinced that her high-protein plan is your ticket to a better body, you've been trying to work more of the macronutrient into your diet. But is it really the secret to slimming down? And how much protein do you actually need, anyway? Read on for the surprising facts, then use your newfound knowledge to get all the muscle-building, fat-fighting benefits.

Protein Facts You Need to Know

You're already getting enough protein.

"There's way too much hype about protein -- or rather, a perceived lack of it in people's diets," says Marion Nestle, PhD, a professor of nutrition, food studies, and public health at New York University. "The reality is, if you consume enough calories, you're probably eating plenty of protein." Most nutritionists agree that active women need about half a gram per pound a day, or approximately 65 grams for a 130-pound woman. And according to the USDA, most of us -- even vegetarians -- are eating 69 grams of protein daily, so we're in the clear. (If you exercise for more than an hour five or more days a week, bump up your intake to 0.75 grams per pound.) Just don't skimp at breakfast and then load up at lunch and dinner, because eating protein in the a.m. can help curb your calorie intake for the rest of the day.

Protein helps you burn more calories...

Every time you eat, your body uses up energy (aka calories) to break down your food and absorb its nutrients, which boosts your metabolism. When you tuck into fat or carbs, about 5 to 15 percent of those calories go toward the digestion process. With protein, it's more like 20 to 30 percent. That's because protein is made up of amino acids held together by peptide bonds, which are strong little suckers. In order for your body to use the amino acids to repair tissue, transport oxygen throughout your bloodstream, and form immunity-boosting antibodies, the peptide bonds have to be broken; this means your stomach has to work harder, which takes extra energy.

...but it can still make you fat.

That metabolism spike doesn't mean protein is a freebie. If you overeat, you'll gain weight no matter where your calories come from. According to a recent study in the Journal of the American Medical Association, volunteers who consumed an extra 1,000 calories a day gained weight, whether 5, 15, or 25 percent of those calories came from protein. While dieters have slimmed down with low-carb plans like Atkins, South Beach, and Paleo, their success is likely because they've cut calories and nixed refined carbs, not because they've upped their intake of protein.

Next:  More Protein Facts

 

What do you think of this story?  Leave a Comment.

What do you think? Review this story!
8033755377
golemgc22820 wrote:

I consume more then 2000 calories a day, & continue to lose weight, & that being said When i was on a high carb diet i could consume no more then 1400-1500 to lose weight& it really does matter where your calories come from.

8/18/2014 01:44:36 PM Report Abuse
golemgc22820 wrote:

As do i :) I disagree with this study, Because the study wasnt conducted on people who dont consume carbohydrates, This being the case "I am strictly Ketogenic" which means i barely consume carbohydrates, & the fats you consume & extra protein, gets excreted through bile and urine The rest gets used as energy and turned into ketones & build more muscle.

8/18/2014 01:44:10 PM Report Abuse
vincentdennis683 wrote:

my neighbor's step-sister makes 77 an hour on the laptop. She has been without work for 7 months but last month her paycheck was 14207 just working on the laptop for a few hours. Go to this web site and read more,,,,,,,,,,, www.Mojo55.com

4/29/2013 06:22:48 PM Report Abuse
independentmediationservices wrote:

Thank you for information about specific gram content of dietary need for protein. Diabetes is in my genetic composition and I have had difficulty maintaining healthy weight--until I supplemented my diet with 42 grams of soy protein each day-which allows me to eat the foods I enjoy and make better choices when I do eat. It is important to have factual information in order to make better food decisions. Again, thank you!!! Pat

4/13/2013 08:51:20 AM Report Abuse
wcmahne wrote:

I do not agree. I have lost 25kg's on Atkins, 12 years ago, never regained it and I am NEVER EVER hungry.. THREE A's for high protein.

4/10/2013 11:15:28 AM Report Abuse

Add your comment

You must be logged in to leave a comment. Register | Log In

Please confirm your comment by answering the question below and clicking "Submit Comment."

Todays Daily Prize
More Smart Savings
Fitness Magazine on Facebook

Go Shopping