3 Crowd-Pleasing, Low-Cal Desserts
Buttermilk Panna Cotta with BerriesPanna Cotta Ingredients
3/4 cup milk (2% or whole)
1 1/4 teaspoons unflavored gelatin powder
1/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk, at room temperatureFresh Berry Medley Ingredients
2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 of a vanilla bean
1 1/2 cups mixed berries, such as raspberries, blueberries, and strawberries, large berries quartered
Sugar-free substitution: Substitute 5 packets of Truvia for the sugar in the panna cotta. Substitute 3 packets of Truvia for the sugar in the berries.Directions
- To make the panna cotta: Pour the milk into a small saucepan and sprinkle the gelatin evenly over the top. Whisk to combine, then set aside for 3 minutes to soften the gelatin. Whisk in the sugar.
- Place the saucepan over medium heat and whisk frequently until the milk begins to steam and the gelatin dissolves completely. Do not allow the mixture to fully boil. Remove the saucepan from the heat and let cool for 15 minutes. Whisk in the buttermilk.
- Pour the mixture into four 4-ounce ramekins. Cover with plastic film and refrigerate about 3 hours, until it is set.
- To prepare the berries: Just before serving, put the sugar into a bowl large enough to hold the berries. Use a paring knife to slit the vanilla bean lengthwise and scrape the seeds into the sugar. Rub the seeds into the sugar with your fingertips. Add the berries and gently mix with a spoon or your hands for about 1 minute, until the berries are well coated and begin to release their juices.
- Distribute the berries and their juices evenly over the tops of the panna cottas and serve.
Nutrition facts per serving: 140 calories, 1.5g fat
Originally published on FitnessMagazine.com, October 2011.
What do you think of this story? Leave a Comment.