Spiced Red Wine-Poached Pears
- 2 cups dry red wine, such as Cabernet or Merlot
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- Juice of one orange
- 1x3-inch strip orange zest
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 2 cloves
- 4 firm, ripe pears
1. In a 4-quart saucepan, combine wine, sugar, orange juice, zest, cinnamon stick, and cloves. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 5 minutes.
2. While liquid is simmering, peel pears, leaving stems intact. Slice 1/2 inch off the base of pears to create a flat bottom. Gently place pears in liquid, cover, and simmer, turning every 5 minutes, until pears are cooked but still firm, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from saucepan and set aside.
3. Turn the heat up to medium-high and cook the liquid until it is thickened and slightly syrupy, about 15 minutes. Pour sauce over pears and chill at least 3 hours before serving.