Serving size: 1 cup View Nutrition Facts
- 1 1 pound loag loaf whole wheat bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 8 ounces spicy or regular bulk turkey sausage (or purchase links and remove casing)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 large stalks celery, very thinly sliced
- 1 10 ounce red onion, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 12 large fresh sage leaves, finely chopped (about 3 tablespoons)
- 3 cups natural, fat-free chicken broth
- 1/3 cup dried, sweetened cranberries
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt, or to taste
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Arrange bread cubes evenly on two large baking pans. Brown in oven for about 25 minutes.
2. In a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, cook sausage for 5 minutes, breaking into small pieces as it browns; place in a 9-by-13-inch baking pan.
3. Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add celery, onion, garlic, and sage. Lightly brown, stirring often, about 12 minutes. Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, simmer broth, cranberries, and butter for about 10 minutes.
4. Add celery mixture, bread cubes, and cranberry broth to sausage. Stir until broth is absorbed. Season with salt to taste.
5. Evenly spread stuffing in pan; cover with foil. Bake for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake 10 minutes.