Fried Green Tomatoes on a Bed of Greens
- 1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 large green tomatoes, sliced about 3/8 inch thick (8 center-cut slices)
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil or olive oil
- 4 cups mesclun
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- Dash salt
- Dash pepper
1. In a pie plate or baking dish combine cornmeal, the 1/4 teaspoon salt, and the 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Coat both sides of tomato slices with the cornmeal mixture. In a large skillet heat cooking or olive oil over medium heat. Add tomato slices, half at a time, and cook about 4 minutes or until golden brown, turning once. (Add more oil if necessary.) Drain on paper towels. Repeat with remaining tomato slices.
2. In a medium bowl drizzle the mesclun with olive oil and vinegar. Sprinkle with the salt and pepper; toss to coat.
3. Divide the mesclun mixture among salad plates. Top with the tomatoes.