Dinner Bruschetta with Eggplant Ragu
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 1 pound eggplant, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 28 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 15 ounce can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 4 slices 2-inch sourdough or French bread
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat mozzarella
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Coat a baking pan with the cooking spray. Place the eggplant in pan in a single layer; coat with cooking spray and roast until tender, 25 to 28 minutes.
2. Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook 5 minutes or until soft, stirring occasionally. Add roasted eggplant and the tomatoes, beans, oregano, thyme, salt and black pepper; cook 20 minutes; stir occasionally. Remove from heat and stir in the basil.
3. Mist a baking sheet with cooking spray and place the bread on it. Top bread with 1/2 cup of the mozzarella and put it in the 450-degree oven until cheese is melted, about 5 minutes. Remove toasted bread slices from oven and divide three quarters of the eggplant topping among them. Top bread with remaining mozzarella and the Parmesan; cook 2 to 3 minutes more or until cheese is melted. Serve with remaining topping spooned around the bruschetti.