Turkish Eggplant and Brown Rice Gratin
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup long-grain brown rice
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium eggplant, diced
- 1/2 pound lean ground chicken
- 1 - 14 ounce can chopped tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons currants
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 2 ounces crumbled feta (about 1/2 cup)
1. Bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add rice, cover and simmer over low heat 35 minutes. Turn off heat and let rice rest 10 minutes, then fluff with a fork and transfer to a large bowl.
2. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees . Coat a shallow 3-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
3. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and eggplant; saute 12 minutes. Stir mixture into rice.
4. Add chicken to skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring to break up meat, about 3 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, currants, garlic, cinnamon and oregano; cook 3 minutes over medium heat. Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Whisk egg and egg white in a small bowl. Stir into rice mixture, then stir in chicken-tomato sauce. Spoon into prepared dish; sprinkle with feta. Bake 20 minutes; let rest 5 minutes before serving.