- cal. (kcal) 354
- Makes: 4 servings
- Prep: 25 mins
- Start to Finish: 25 mins
- Carb Grams Per Serving: 60
black beans, or pinto beans, rinsed (see Note)
chopped pickled jalapeno
ripe avocado, pitted
baguette, preferably whole-grain
shredded green cabbage
- Mash beans, salsa, jalapeno and cumin in a small bowl. Mash avocado, onion and lime juice in another small bowl.
- Cut baguette into 4 equal lengths. Split each piece in half horizontally. Pull out most of the soft bread from the center so you're left with mostly crust. Divide the bean paste, avocado mixture and cabbage evenly among the sandwiches. Cut each in half and serve.
- Tips: Note: While we love the convenience of canned beans, they tend to be high in sodium. Give them a good rinse before adding to a recipe to rid them of some of their sodium (up to 35 percent) or opt for low-sodium or no-salt-added varieties. (This recipe is analyzed with rinsed, regular canned beans.) Or, if you have the time, cook your own beans from scratch.
- MAKE AHEAD TIP: Cover and refrigerate the bean mixture (Step 1) for up to 3 days.
Nutrition InformationServings Per Recipe: 4
PER SERVING: 354 cal., 9 g total fat (1 g sat. fat), 682 mg sodium, 60 g carb. (17 g fiber), 17 g pro.