Sweet Potato and Pork Chili
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped white onion
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 3/4 pound boneless center-cut pork loin, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened dark-chocolate powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2/3 cup low-sodium vegetable stock
- 1 14 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, diced
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce
- 1 15 ounce can navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro (plus more for serving, optional)
- 4 tablespoons nonfat Greek yogurt (optional)
1. Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-low heat. Add the onion, carrot, celery, garlic and sweet potato; cook 8 to 10 minutes, until tender. Season the pork with the salt and black pepper; add the meat to pot and cook until browned, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes.
2. Mix in the chili powder, cumin, dark-chocolate powder, oregano and cinnamon; cook 2 minutes. Add the vegetable stock, tomatoes, chipotle pepper and adobo sauce; stir, then bring to boil. Reduce heat to low; cover pot and simmer, stirring occasionally, until pork is tender, about 1 hour. Stir in the navy beans and cilantro; cook until heated through, about 3 minutes. Serve the chili topped with more cilantro and a dollop of yogurt if desired.
NoteWhy This Recipe Works for Weight Loss:
- A diet that includes plenty of lean protein has been linked in studies to successful long-term weight loss.Foods high in water volume, such as chili and soup, have fewer calories but still satisfy and fill you up.Beans are loaded with fiber, which helps to keep you feeling full longer.
- Beans are loaded with fiber, which helps to keep you feeling full longer.
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say "Yes" to Fitness® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE – 2 full years (20 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Fitness Band and Total Body Express Band Workout ABSOLUTELY FREE! (U.S. orders only)