Steamed Mussels in Tomato Broth
- cal. (kcal) 267
- Makes: 4 servings
- Prep: 20 mins
- Start to Finish: 30 mins
- Carb Grams Per Serving: 2
extra-virgin olive oil
cloves garlic, finely chopped
ripe plum tomatoes, cored and coarsely chopped
dry white wine
mussels, scrubbed and debearded (see Tip)
chopped fresh parsley
- Warm oil in a large pot with a tight-fitting lid over low heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until golden, about 3 minutes. Add tomatoes, increase the heat to high and stir for 1 minute more. Pour in wine and bring to a boil.
- Add mussels, cover and steam, occasionally giving the pan a vigorous shake, until all the mussels have opened, 3 to 4 minutes. Discard any that do not open. Transfer the mussels to a serving bowl. Spoon the broth over the mussels and sprinkle with parsley.
- Tips: To clean mussels, scrub them with a stiff brush under cold running water. Scrape off any barnacles using the shell of another mussel. Just before cooking, pull off the "beard" from each one.
- Discard any mussels with broken shells or any that do not close when tapped.
Nutrition InformationServings Per Recipe: 4
PER SERVING: 267 cal., 6 g total fat (1 g sat. fat), 64 mg chol., 427 mg sodium, 2 g carb. (1 g fiber), 28 g pro.