Spicy Pickled Vegetables
- 1 large fennel bulb, cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 1/2 pound small carrots (6 to 8), scrubbed and halved lengthwise
- 1/2 head cauliflower (about 1 pound), cut into small florets
- 4 cups apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons pickling spice (such as McCormick)
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 4 rosemary sprigs
- 2 jalapenos, sliced
- 2 1/2 cups water
1. Place fennel, carrots and cauliflower in a large bowl.
2. In a medium pot, combine vinegar, sugar, pickling spice, salt, garlic, rosemary, jalapenos and water. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook until sugar is dissolved, about 4 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes, then pour over vegetables; let cool, cover with plastic wrap and chill 4 hours or overnight. (If necessary, place a dinner plate over plastic to keep vegetables submerged.) Store up to a week in liquid; strain before serving.