Spicy Black Bean Tacos with Tangy Slaw
- 3 cups coleslaw mix
- 7 pickled jalapeno slices, finely chopped, plus 3 tablespoons brine
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup water
- 12 corn tortillas, lightly toasted
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1/4 cup crumbled cotija cheese
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 lime, cut into wedges (optional)
1. In a large bowl, toss coleslaw mix with jalapeno brine.
2. In a medium skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until tender, about 4 minutes. Add chopped jalapenos and cook 1 minute more. Add beans and water and cook, stirring frequently and lightly mashing, until mixture has thickened, about 3 minutes.
3. Divide bean mixture among tortillas and top with coleslaw mix, tomatoes, cotija and cilantro. Serve with lime wedges if desired.