Spicy Beef and Pepper Fajitas
- 3/4 pound flank steak, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon peanut or vegetable oil
- 2 cups red and yellow bell pepper strips
- 1 cup thinly sliced onion
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 8 6 inches flour tortillas
- 1/4 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt or reduced-fat sour cream (optional)
1. Cut steak along the grain into 2-inch-thick strips, then cut each strip across the grain into 1/4-inch-thick slices.
2. In a medium bowl, combine steak, garlic, 1 tablespoon sherry, cornstarch, soy sauce and black pepper. Stir in 1 teaspoon oil.
3. Heat a large wok or skillet over high heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil, peppers and onion; stir-fry 1 to 2 minutes or until peppers begin to wilt. Transfer to a plate.
4. Add remaining oil, then steak in a single layer. Cook steak undisturbed 1 minute. Add chili powder; stir-fry 15 seconds or until just combined. Add pepper-and onion mixture, salt and remaining sherry; stir-fry 1 minute or until beef is just cooked through. Stir in cilantro.
5. Serve with warmed tortillas and top with yogurt or sour cream if desired.