Spanish Omelet With Ham and Cheese
- 4 large eggs
- 8 large egg whites
- 1 ounce manchego, grated (about 1/3 cup)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 russet potato, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces kale (preferably lacinato, or dinosaur, kale), thinly sliced into ribbons
- 2 ounces thinly sliced serrano ham, diced
- 4 cups mixed baby greens
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees . In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, egg whites, manchego and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 10 minutes. Add potato and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly soft, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute more. Add half the kale and cook 1 minute; add remaining kale and cook 2 minutes more. Add ham, remaining salt and pepper, and 1 tablespoon oil, then egg mixture, shaking pan to eliminate air pockets. Cook 1 minute on stove top, then transfer to oven and bake until lightly golden, 14 to 15 minutes.
3. Remove omelet from oven and let cool slightly. Meanwhile, toss greens with remaining oil and lemon juice. Serve with omelet.