Vietnamese-Style Soup With Beef
- 4 ounces thin rice noodles
- 1 pound sirloin steak frozen for 15 minutes prior to cooking (makes slicing easier)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1 inch piece peeled ginger, thinly sliced
- 6 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/4 pound snow peas
- 4 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and caps sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 cups fresh bean sprouts
- Cilantro, basil and lime wedges (optional)
1. Cook the noodles according to package directions; drain.
2. Cut the steak into very thin slices; season with the salt, cloves, cinnamon and allspice.
3. In a soup pot, heat the canola oil over medium-high heat. Add sliced steak and cook, stirring frequently, about 3 minutes or until edges have browned but meat is still pink in the middle.
4. Add the garlic and ginger; cook 30 seconds. Add the broth, fish sauce and honey; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and add the snow peas, mushrooms, bell pepper and noodles; simmer 3 minutes.
5. Ladle the soup into bowls, top with the bean sprouts and garnish with the cilantro, basil and lime wedges if desired.