- Nonstick cooking spray
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 fennel bulb, diced
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 14 1/2ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 pound red potatoes, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 cups bottled clam juice
- 2 cups water
- 12 ounces firm white fish, such as halibut, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 12 ounces shrimp, cleaned and shelled
- 1 1/4 pounds fresh New Zealand or Manila clams or one 8-ounce can whole clams, drained and rinsed
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray. Brush the bread slices with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and place on baking sheet. Bake 15 minutes, turning once halfway through. Set aside.
2. In a soup pot, heat remaining oil over medium-high heat. Add the fennel, onion, bell pepper, garlic and fennel seeds. Cook, stirring occasionally, 7 to 8 minutes.
3. Add the tomatoes, potatoes, clam juice and water; gently boil 8 minutes or until potatoes are nearly cooked through. Reduce heat to a gentle simmer and add the fish. Cook until fish is no longer translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the shrimp and cook 3 minutes; add the clams and cook 2 minutes more. (If using fresh clams, cook until they open, about 10 minutes.)
4. Place the toasts in the bottoms of four soup bowls; ladle soup over bread. Serve.
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say "Yes" to Fitness® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE – 2 full years (20 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Fitness Band and Total Body Express Band Workout ABSOLUTELY FREE! (U.S. orders only)